5/8/17: We’re hiring! part-time Saturday market crew, flexible schedule
**We have an immediate opening for a Saturday Market Crew member who can work 2-4 Saturdays per month, June-Nov, in either Kennebunk or Portland. Ideal candidate will be able to start work June 3.**
Overview: Two Farmers Farm is a certified Organic four-season vegetable farm located on a historic farmstead in Scarborough, Maine. We’re a small team of hardworking farmers using high-production systems, mechanization, and season-extension to grow over 30 different crops for local farmers’ markets, grocers, chefs and distributors.
We strive to exemplify the potential for farmers to maintain a high quality of life while achieving excellent land stewardship, equitably supporting our employees, preserving rural heritage, and furthering the movement for a more sustainable food system.
Who we are: Our team is made up of owners Kelsey and Dominic, 3 full-time farm crew members, and 2 part-time farm crew members, 1 part-time market crew member, and occasional per-diem workers.
Job description: “Market crew” members manage farmers’ market stands in partnership with farm owners Kelsey and Dominic and the TFF farm crew.
Two Farmers Farm is proud to provide the highest-quality organic produce and the best customer service in the Portland, Kennebunk, and Seacoast Eat Local farmers’ markets. We believe in food that is healthy and safe, in agriculture that is sustainable and regenerative, and in supporting our community of growers and eaters.
Our customers include a wide range of people: senior citizens and young families, tourists and locals, professional chefs and cooking novices. We serve people from all walks of life and with a wide range of views and opinions.
All of our market protocols, from our dress code to the way we count back change to our display, is intended to communicate our values to our customers.
The TFF Market Crew is cheerful, excited about using and eating local produce, interested in getting to know our customers, and believes in local economies and organic agriculture.
We strive to maintain a reasonable and consistent work schedule. Start time and end times may vary depending on how much produce needs to be unloaded in the morning or re-packed at the end of the day.
We are seeking market staff for the following markets:
- Kennebunk Farmers’ Market: begin setup at 6:30 or 7am; clean up by 2pm. Gardent Street municipal lot, downtown Kennebunk. Saturdays May-Nov.
- Portland Farmers’ Market: begin setup at 5:30 or 6am; clean up by 2pm. Deering Oaks Park, downtown Portland. Saturdays May-Nov.
- Some customer service experience required
- Must commit to working until Thanksgiving 2017. Year-round market crew positions are available to the right candidates.
- Proactive and communicative.
- Able to work well as a small team and independently.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- Able to lift 50lbs.
- Able to do basic mental math.
- Positive attitude, agreeable disposition.
- Eagerness to learn and belief in local food systems.
- Valid driver’s license, clean driving record.
- Women, minorities and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.
- Paid hourly, $12/hour to start.
- Seasonal performance bonus(es) awarded as earned.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Your earliest potential start date (we currently have an immediate opening)
- 1-2 paragraphs introducing yourself and describing why you would like to work at Two Farmers Farm.
- Three (3) references from current/former supervisors, along with contact information.
We look forward to hearing from you!